Monday, January 10, 2005

You Can Compose Your Own Music!

I remember the time I first tried to write a piece of music. I was playing classical guitar at the time and really wanted to capture my ideas on paper. The first thing I did was get staff paper. Since I had never done this before, this seemed ilke a good idea. I then tried to write the melody down. Not being a fluent note reader, it took a while. I finally got 4-bars of melody on paper. The pathetic thing about this is that it took me over 2-hours! And that's just the melody. I didn't even begin to harmonize it.

You see, I didn't know what I was doing so it took forever. Now, I understand a few basic principles that help me complete a piece of music - the most important of these being the ability to move forward without criticising or censoring the music.

This is the crucial ingredient to success. But of course, if you don't have a framework to "capture" your music, you won't get very far either. That's why I ALWAYS WRITE OUT 8-BARS FIRST. I don't use staff paper. Any paper will do. You see, with the 8-bar phrase in front of you, you have a task to do. You have to fill in these 8 bars with material. I usually start with the melody, then let the chords do the rest of the work.

Here's a FREE piano lesson that will help you learn how to improvise and create your own music.

No comments:

Post a Comment