Friday, October 21, 2005

Pablum or Musical Snobbism?


Sometimes, I'll look around the web to see who's saying what about New Age music.

Recently, I visited Google Groups where I read a post arguing that New Age music is pablum, not to be taken seriously. This got me thinking. Was he right? Is New Age music a tasteless mushy genre that doesn't belong in the ranks of serious music?

Of course, the person who posted this must have been a "serious" musician. By serious I mean schooled in Western harmony, theory, etc. But they just don't get it. They don't get that music is music is music and that judging one genre superior over another is folly.

For example, I'm not a big fan of Country music, but I respect the people who love it and leave it at that. I really don't like Rap music, but I recognize that millions of people do so who am I to say it's "not good."

Pablum? Perhaps to some, but to me New Age music and New Age piano in particular happen to be gourmet treats that I can't get enough of!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:23 PM

    Some new age music is TERRIBLE. Some is great. If it were pablum, it would all be terrible. The thing is, it is actually quite hard to make good new age music that doesn't grate on peoples nerves. Therefore- It isn't all pablum.

    ReplyDelete