Friday, October 28, 2005

Taking the Mystery Out of Improvisation


A student recently asked me; "Why is improvisation so mysterious." My response was that there is nothing mysterious about it at all.

Of course, I'm saying this because I have years of experience under my belt, but truthfully, once you understand that all you need to improvise is chords, the mystery disappears and satisfaction takes it place.

Most of the problems students have with improvising is their fear of trying it. They think they need to know college theory or advanced harmony first in order to begin creating in the moment. Nothing could be further from the truth!

For instance, in the piano lesson "Oriental Sunrise," you get the chords down in your left hand. Then you use the pentatonic minor scale to improvise a melody and that's that! Nothing hard about it. No mystery here - just fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment