Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Play Something Happy


I'll never forget the time I was teaching this one student. She asked me, "Can you show me how to play something happy?"

This really irritated me because I assumed she didn't understand what I was trying to teach her. I wrongly assumed that she knew that if she were feeling happy, the music that came out of her would reflect that.

That's what I get for assuming. You can, if you want, create music that has the "emotion" of happiness, sadness, whatever. But, this music will be contrived and have a certain produced quality to it. Instead, it's much easier just to let your feelings inform the music. This way, you won't have to produce a "happy" music. You'll automatically be able to do this when you're feeling happy and can just sit down and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment