Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Not Another New Age Piano CD!

The world will not end if there isn't another new age piano CD on the market. So why bother? Why play when most people don't care or want to hear the kind of music you like? The answer lies in the nature of art itself, for the world really does not need art. It can survive without painting, sculpture or music. It can survive, but it would be a pretty dreary place.

The main reason we play is not for the world but for ourselves. We must play for ourselves first and if people hear and like it fine. If not, that' s fine too. As long as we don't deprive ourselves of the enriching experience playing the piano can bring.

When I first started playing I wanted to create something others could admire. Something that people could say, wow, listen to that. That guy is really good. But I was miserable and miles away from the true purpose of playing music. It wasn't until a year or so later that I realized that if I don't please myself first, no one would be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment