Monday, March 13, 2006

New CD Project - Stops and Starts

I'm working on a new CD project. I've got a few pieces that are "in the works" so to speak and are unfinished. It's frustrating not completing each piece as soon as inspiration hits, but sometimes the music only wants to go so far... and then I have to stop and come back to it later.

Of course, I could complete the piece if I wanted, but then the music would be forced and as a consequence, sound contrived. Much better to just let go and see where it wants to go. My desire to have a finished product and the desire to have a music that is fresh and natural butt heads from time to time. It's frustrating not having something when you want it but one thing I've learned over the years and that's never to force a piece of music into existence.

Sometimes a piece will be completed very quickly in one sitting, but more times than not, it takes a while before it all comes together. Patience.... ah yes. A quality I need to cultivate.

No comments:

Post a Comment