Monday, February 05, 2007

Creating A Piano Improvisation - The Making of December Twilight

"How is it done?" asked one student. "How do you create something like December Twilight?" I'll tell you but you may be surprised at the answer.

December Twilight is a lesson piece (available at http://www.quiescencemusic.com ) I created to teach students hand independence. So, how did I create it? I haven't the slightest idea.

What I mean is, I went over to the piano like I usually do, sat down, and just started to play around. And out of nowhere, I found myself reaching for a bass note followed by an A major triad and D major chord.

Now, I'm not saying this to mystify you, but when you operate this way on the piano, the unexpected comes up. I wasn't "trying" for anything here. I allowed myself to just be at the keyboard and with this attitude, the music that comes is always a surprise and here's the best part - this approach always leads to the freshest sounding music!

Click here to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment