Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Do I Have To Practice Every Day?

A student wrote me an email about practicing on piano. Here it is:

Hello, I would love to learn more on piano but I always seem to procrastinate. Is there any suggestions and also how can I motivate myself to play everyday?

And here's my answer...

Hi pumpkin_purple. You don't have to practice everyday. At least, that's my philosophy. If you want to get good at something you practice it right? But, if you love something you automatically practice it - out of love for whatever it is your studying.

For example, word lovers love to read. Do you ever hear of someone suggesting that you practice reading? Probably not. The same goes for piano playing. If you want to learn and love the sound of piano, you will naturally be drawn to it. This is the first requisite. Also, it also depends on your goals. If your goal is to be a classical pianist headed for the stage, then practicing becomes your life. If your goal is to just enjoy music, don't worry so much about practicing. Instead, turn your attention on what you love and the rest will naturally follow.

--Edward Weiss

No comments:

Post a Comment