Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How To Compose Your First Piano Piece

Many students love to improvise. But I'm often asked… "When can I learn how to actually create a complete piece of music?"

To which my response is "when do you want to begin?"

I often tell students that they should wait to learn how to compose until they can freely improvise on the piano. And when I say "freely" improvise, I mean being able to sit down and just play without criticizing what's coming out of you.

When you can do this, you'll be able to compose a piece of music without having to stop every 2-bars or so. Having said that - and assuming you're already able to freely improvise, let's see how to create our first real new age piano piece...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment