Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Showing Up At the Piano


You know, I used to think that you should only play piano when you feel like it. But now I'm not so sure.

I guess it all has to do with your goals. For example, I just set a new goal for myself to have a new CD out by Sept 08. That means I'd better show up at the piano whether I feel like it or not if I want to produce something.

Normally, I just sit down and play when the mood strikes. And since I'm not a big fan of forced practice assumed this was the way to go.

But taking a cue from the book "The Artists Way," (where the author suggests you "show up" in the morning to write) I've come to learn it's a good idea to set a certain time to play.

What I like to do is tell myself I'll spend 15 minutes or so at the piano. If something comes - fine. If not, that's fine but at least I showed up.

What about you? Do you think showing up at the piano is a good idea or not?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:35 AM

    Hi Edward, yes I think it's good to have a goal and it really makes you do more music regardless of whether you 'feel like it' or not. I've also got some music I want to have ready and it just means I will put in the daily practise whatever.

    ReplyDelete