Friday, March 27, 2009

Recommended Video: "Debussy - Prelude for Piano"

I wanted to share this video with you because it shows what can be done with chords. All this pianist is doing is "playing" with chords.

Don't let the mechanics fool you here. You take a chord and you can move it up or down the piano. You can use both hands to "speed up" the playing.

Just watch what he's doing here. To the uninitiated it looks AND sounds almost impossible to play or to create for that matter. But you know better. At .10 seconds he's playing a chord with the left hand while the right goes back and forth to play melody notes.

Impressive? Yes! Something you can create as well? Absolutely!

7 comments:

  1. Looks very difficult indeed! Seems more like he is arpeggiating up and down the piano and does not sound like chords to me.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 AM

    yep i see it will 50 year old hands play that fast ??? maybe half....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miriam, the arpeggios are coming from the chords. I'll show you in my next lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this here, Edward. It is indeed a wonderful example of chords at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alexandra,
    I'm actually going to illustrate something like this in my next piano lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that guy can play. No wonder he's considered one of the masters.

    - Chas
    http://music.willowrise.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked at this video several times and it is amazing how he smooth, dramatic and mysterious his music sounds. He keeps everyone in suspense and there is never a dull moment. I keep wondering if this man is a trained pianist, or self-trained in new age music. Does anyone know? Edward, do you know his background?

    By the way, I am a member of Yahoo but I am having some difficulty loggin on. If I may introduce mysel, you may go to my website at www.HeavenlySpices.net I just started and I play the piano but I don't know how to improvise. Anyone in the same boat?

    Thanks,

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete