Friday, June 11, 2010

Allow Yourself to ‘Be’ at the Piano

My biggest creative inspiration in life is nature …. life itself. When I’m in nature, I relax, and have a chance to reflect.

There is no need to ‘do’ anything other than just be. Something we all need to experience more these days.

Now, what I like to do as well is ‘be’ at the piano. No thinking, or need to try and come up with material here (unless I’m completing a melodic sketch). I allow myself to feel and express through music. Which is why I’ve always enjoyed the New Age style.

You see, it’s really a ‘healing’ music and this because most of the musicians involved in this genre seem to want to transfer feelings of peace and serenity into notes and chords.

Visual artists have been doing this for the longest time. Just look at some of the paintings of Monet and the Impressionists and you’ll see what I mean.

When you try and come up with something, you create a separation between what you feel in the present and what your ego wants to create. This ‘divide’ must be resolved because you simply cannot have both. And the amazing irony of all of this is that your ‘best’ product will ALWAYS come from your spirit and not the ego.

Don’t try to create something. Instead, allow yourself to just ‘be’ at the piano and remarkable things will happen!

Try this: Spend some time in nature. Just enjoy yourself and admire what your senses take in. Now go to your piano and play the first thing that comes to mind. What you are doing is transferring feeling into notes. This action on your part can not only heal you, but those who are fortunate enough to hear the music that is now coming out of your piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment