Monday, January 07, 2013

Days Without Playing Piano…

Believe it or not, I can go for days without playing piano. In fact, I like to. I do this not because of some kind of goal though. I do it because a lot of times, I just don’t want to play the piano.

This may sound like anathema coming from a piano teacher, but let me tell you something… the reason I stay away from the piano is a creative one, meaning, I have nothing to say or express at that particular time.

I don’t play piano to please others or to perform. I play piano because I see it as a natural extension of my creative self. A musical balm I can put on anytime I want to simply because I can.

Now, the rub of this of course is that if you don’t practice, you lose facility. That’s a hard fact. But it’s a fact I’m not too concerned with because what I play is usually therapeutic fare - a note salad of tones and textures that pleases me to no end. I play a E minor 7 chord and it begins - the sound, minor and appealing. Then movement; fingers start playing around with chord tones and music comes forth.

Now, this of course, is more than enough to content me. In fact, there are times where it completes me in a way that no other activity can. A musical nourishment that effortlessly melds into me. Playing and player become one and it is at this instant that the music is at it’s most powerful.

Edward Weiss is a pianist/composer and webmaster of Quiescence Music's online piano lessons. He has been helping students learn how to play piano in the New Age style for over 15 years and works with students in private, in groups, and now over the internet.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really interesting angle Edward - I think perspective is everything though because as a wife/mother/carer for over two decades I often went days (sometimes weeks) without playing the piano (although I taught it) and when I did I just did it for my own pleasure.

    But lately I have really felt the urge to practice more to increase excellence because I really I am currently feeling that music is for sharing, and I have a really strong urge to play to others. Keeping my music to myself for my own pleasure is good and enjoyable, but I think all musicians get the longing to share their music with others from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete