Thursday, October 13, 2005

Keeping a Composition Journal Pt 2.



Another good thing about keeping a composition journal - weeks, months, and even years after you notate your ideas, they'll remain waiting for you and will seem just as alive as when you first wrote them.

When I was creating the music for Anza-Borrego Desert Suite, some of the pieces were "in progress" and lay waiting for completion. Some lay in wait for weeks while I worked on others. But when I returned to them, I was able to begin right where I left off...thanks to notating the main idea.

You never know when an idea will make itself known. By writing it down, you will be able to return to it whenever you want and when inspiration is fresh!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:26 PM

    I don't know how often you check your comments, but I've been reading over your site-- very neat. I was just wondering if you have any methods of memorization-- I'm working on classical music--ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry anon but memorization isn't one of the things I teach right now. All I can tell you is practice, practice, practice and eventually the music will become a part of you!

    ReplyDelete