Thursday, September 28, 2006

To Learn How to Compose Learn How to Improvise


As I sit here writing this listening to Mozart, I can't help but think of musical form. That sometimes but often not discernible quality to music that makes it art. And when I say art, I'm not talking about improvisation or free form. I'm talking about composition.

Most students are baffled as to how a piece of music is constructed. It's as if learning how to compose is something only gifted individuals do. And while the intuitive sense behind creating melody itself can not be taught, the craft can!
Form is to music what flower arranging is to the florist. You see, it's all about creating a structure. In flower arranging, the goal is to create something pleasing to the eye. This is accomplished by...

Click here to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment