Tuesday, June 10, 2008

New Age Pianist Interview: Ken Elkinson

The following is an interview I did with Ken about New Age piano playing. I got the idea of interviewing various New Age pianists when I thought about the kinds of questions I would have liked to have answers to when first starting out on piano.

So, without further ado, the interview.

Edward: How Did You Get Started Playing New Age Piano?

Ken: I started piano lessons when I was 5 studying classical. I ended up competing on the junior classical circuit - but grew tired of it. I then switched to jazz and pop study in high school. In college I took some classes in composition and improvisation, and I guess that is when you could say I started playing New Age piano. I feel the music contained on all four of my CD releases is a combination of all my different backgrounds - but it does tend to get classified as New Age.

Edward: What Inspires and Informs Your Music?

Ken: I know that people won't believe this - but I am not really inspired by anything specific when I write my music. My writing tends to be across the board, from very upbeat stuff to very melancholy. I do hear a lot of other artists say that when they are sad, they

To read the rest of this interview click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment