Saturday, October 03, 2009

Showing Up at the Piano

I have a unique philosophy when it comes to piano playing. I don't believe in regular practice. Now, don't get me wrong. If your goal is to become a concert pianist, then regular practice is a must.

But if you're like me and are interested in the experience you get when you sit down and play, then all that is required for you is to "show up" at the piano.

I'm currently working on a new CD project. I set a date for it's completion. Now, the problem is, how do I work to complete this project?

Some would set a rigorous agenda to accomplish this. I've tried to do this but it doesn't work for me. I found a better strategy and that is to set time goals.

For example, my minimum goal is to spend at least 15 minutes a day at the piano. My job is to "show up." This approach works very well for me! And it fits in with my philosophy of not forcing anything into being.

I work on a couple of pieces at a time. Sometimes the piece does not want to "go anywhere." It's frustrating sometimes when you have something you want done but it's not going the way you want.

Ideally, I'd love to have the CD finished within a week, but by showing up at my piano every day for the minimum time, I stay true to my philosophy of not forcing a product into creation.

This strategy will not work for everyone of course. But if you're the kind of person who is more interested in the process, you can use this approach to your advantage if and when you decide to create a CD or some other project.

Edward Weiss is a pianist/composer and webmaster of Quiescence Music's online piano lessons. He has been helping students learn how to play piano in the New Age style for over 14 years and works with students in private, in groups, and now over the internet. Visit http://www.quiescencemusic.com now and get a FREE piano lesson

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:20 PM

    Yeah I work on a couple pieces at a time but I seem to have the problem of getting so burned out that I have to give up and may or may not come back to it a year later. Nothing ever gets completed.

    ReplyDelete