Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Something That Will Revolutionize Your Playing!

What I'm about to share with you took me years to learn! And I'm still learning it. What am I talking about? I'm talking about something that will revolutionize your playing.

I'm talking about being present at the piano while you're playing!

See. I told you it was simple. Simple to say but not so simple to do.

Let me tell you how I approach this. Some time ago, I sat down at my piano to work on some pieces for a new CD project. I'd completed the first sections on many of these pieces but the rest of the music just wouldn't come.

I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this was (and sometimes still is) for me! Anyway, I decided to take a walk and figure out what the problem was. I started walking and unwinding and then it hit me... the reason nothing was coming was because of my own expectations.

You see, I wanted to complete the pieces I'd been working on so badly that I was creating an atmosphere of anxiety. The joy of making music was gone. It was replaced for the need to create a product. And once this need appears - any progress is sure to be halted. Why?

Because the ego is never satisfied and wants something that is in direct opposition to artistic expression.

Now I have a different approach. I tell myself that my job is to just show up at the piano. To be present with the music. If new material comes, then fine. If not, that's OK too. Just as long as I show up and remain present to the process.

Edward Weiss is a pianist/composer and webmaster of Quiescence Music's online piano lessons. He has been helping students learn how to play piano in the New Age style for over 14 years and works with students in private, in groups, and now over the internet. Visit http://www.quiescencemusic.com now and get a FREE piano lesson!

1 comment:

  1. A good and timely reminder, thank you for posting it.

    Clint

    ReplyDelete