Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New Book Almost Ready!

My new book "Free to be Creative at the Piano" is almost ready! I ordered a copy from Createspace and once I approve the final - it'll be ready for sale.
Should be another week or two. I'd lilke to make it faster of course, but what can you do?
Anyway, here's the thread that started it all. I got into it with some of the posters over at the Piano World forums. Looking back, I'm not sorry I posted that article. Here's part of the article (with the title 'Free to be Creative at the Piano') and a link to the rest of the 10 page thread.

---------------------------
I sometimes wonder why people even bother taking piano lessons. I suppose the hope is that one day, with a lot of practice, they too will be able to play Beethoven, Mozart, etc.

The idea of creating one's own music seems to be a foreign notion to most piano students. They believe it is beyond their ability. And with this belief they limit themselves.

In fact, I think music may be the only area where students are not encouraged to be creative. Not only that, but the majority of piano teachers want you to learn how to note read before you learn how to play chords - that is, if they teach you chords at all.

You see, classical piano teachers can stretch their curriculum out forever. You could literally spend 10 years learning how to play other peoples music. And while there's no denying this music is "good," it's also been played and recorded by people who have dedicated their entire life to getting it right.

Click here to read the rest of this article and the entire thread at Piano World.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:40 PM

    Nice cover!
    You could celebrate with a discount on lessons.

    ReplyDelete