Monday, May 02, 2011

The Road to Recording - Polish and Polish Again

As many of you know, I'm coming out with a new CD. The pieeces are all composed and I thought that was the hard part. But no.

The hard part (at least for me) is the polishing. You see, you can literally polish for months if not years and this can prevent you from actually recording the music - the last and final step. After that it's mastering which isn't really that hard.

I'm not a patient person. This has served me well is some areas (like getting things done) and poorly in other areas (like being realistic about waiting.)

I initially set a May 2011 release date but pushed it up to June 2011. Hopefully the CD will be available by then but I learned a lot from recording my first 2 CDs.

The first one, 'La Jolla Suite' was recorded live in concert. I had no idea that recording equipment had been set up for a concert I was about to play so that CD was literally done in one take. I'd already rehearsed the pieces to death so really no worries there. I made a few 'flubs' but none that I couldn't recover from.

My second CD 'Anza-Borrgeo Desert Suite' was also recorded in one take. I went to a studio here in San Diego to do that one.

Now, I'm recording at home and have all the time in the world to 'get it right' but if you know about my non-perfectionist philosophy, you know that I won't wait forever to get it done. Nothing is perfect.

So ... back to polishing and hopefully, I'll have some new music for you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Edward,

    Glad you are working on finishing your second CD. I will definetly buy one. Just curious as to what kind of recording equipment you are using.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete